Pages

Support Wikipedia

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Update on Zeke

I had my second opinion on Zeke today. It was as Mike and I had originally suspected...he has Diabetes. He also has Fatty Liver Disease. I know both of these are survivable, but together and at this point the prognosis isn't so good. The former caused the latter. I don't understand how the first vet I went to could be practicing still. I told him of our suspicion of Diabetes and he automatically ruled it out without testing. He also did not test for FIP or even his liver function. He just told us he's terminal, with FIP and liver cancer, end of story...oh and "let's hope for the best". The vet today (who came highly recommended and used once before although he's in another town a 1/2 hour away) IMMEDIATELY whisked him off to put a warm IV in him and to test his liver function as well as everything else. They are keeping him until he is stabilized. He WAS given an FIP vaccination on 2/10/07...the vet AUTOMATICALLY gives it with all of the annual shots...this vaccine is DANGEROUS and UNNECESSARY. It could actually make your kitty more susceptible to catching the coronavirus which causes FIP. When I took him last year for his shots, he had severe diarrhea...the vet didn't test him for anything except Fvrp/luk & Feluk/fiv & said the diarrhea was just probably from something he ate. He was 19lbs at the time and couldn't even clean his bottom, we had to take him to a professional groomer to be cleaned and have his bottom shaved. I wonder if they should have tested for Diabetes back then. I had complained of how much he would throw up all of the time. We joked that he must be Bulimic, but no red flags were brought to my attention by the vet...she just said we should not let him eat so much. That's kind of a problem, though, because 2 of our indoor kitties will only eat when they can "graze. I wish I had seen the red flags, especially his sudden loss of weight. I thought it was a good thing that he was losing weight because he was so fat before. I hate that he had to go from Monday to today without being properly treated. It could cost him his life. I hate that you put your trust in a medical expert and you get such poor service...especially when the life of your pet is at stake. I wish I had paid closer attention...my pets have not had my complete attention for months due to our new baby and I feel horrible. One other thing I wonder about is if the onset of the Diabetes could have been triggered by a change in his food. The place we shop at was out of the Purina Cat Chow completely, but we HAD to have food. We bought, I think, Meow Mix until the store could get more in. I believe this was 2-3 weeks ago. I wonder if this could be related? I am crossing my fingers that Zeke will make it through. The vet says it doesn't seem very promising...less than a 10% chance of surviving, but knowing what the problem is makes me hopeful still. I feel like there is a weight off of my shoulders right now. Thanks so much for all of your concern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails