Pages

Support Wikipedia

Friday, January 25, 2008

staying home, career

After a grueling 8 years and zillion jobs later, I graduated LSU with a degree in Political Science. Now I have a career as a stay-at-home-mom (SAHM). I never, ever thought this is where I `d want to be. I saw myself as a career woman. I wanted to BE somebody. I wanted to do important things. I saw myself as a Feminist. After being out there for a while in the land of the 9-5 (where I longed to be for so long), I realized I HATED it. I yearned for something more. I wanted to be a mommy! I wanted to take care of my house & my husband. It `s so ironic now to hear myself saying these things. I used to think women who wanted things like that were uneducated simpletons. Now that I `m wearing their shoes, I rather like them. I used to wonder why someone would `throw away ` their college education to be a housewife. I couldn `t, for the life of me, figure out what was wrong with them. At the same time, I constantly pondered how I could make my mark on the world. What could I do to better the lives of people around me? What was I meant to do? There are so many things wrong with the world and families. I know because I grew up in a very broken family...if you could even call it a family. I became constantly overwhelmed. I volunteered to help the abused children, the abused animals, to clean up the environment, to help the best candidate win. I worked 2 and 3 jobs at a time while attending school full-time. I went out as often as I could. I tried to save my friends and family whose lives were always falling apart...in the meantime I could barely keep my own life together. I bounced from relationship to relationship searching for something permanent. I rarely slept more than 5 hours a night when I wasn `t pulling all-nighters (be it studying or partying). When college was over...all of that chaos came to a screeching HALT!My life is solid now. It is so much calmer and more meaningful. My education comes very much in handy these days. It taught me so many things. My work experience has also prepared me for this new role. I can run a household and a family now. I `m not perfect at it and I know I have a LONG way to go. I am learning to organize and to cook. I am appreciating the unconditional love from my baby and Mike. I am so grateful to have a husband who values my new role. He doesn `t mind supporting his family and I don `t mind supporting him. Wouldn `t society be so much better off if we didn `t have to feel ashamed of putting our families first? I want my son to have the best care and education a child can have. I know he will because I will be the one providing it! I don `t want to worry about him being neglected in a daycare or feeling like his parents don `t have time for him. Believe it or not I am still studying like crazy. I am taking my education so much more seriously than I ever did in college. I am learning the most valueable lessons and skills of my life right now. I read constantly on how to care for my baby and home. I know this kind of life is not for everyone, but it `s working for me and my family right now! There are some sacrifices we have to make...I don `t drive a brand new car or wear the latest fashions. I can `t get my hair highlighted every 6-8 weeks or my nails done. We may not have the best of everything, and may be cutting coupons & living on a budget, but it `s WORTH it to me. I know that we will own our own home soon. We `ll still travel and have adventures. We will have a boat and probably even a vacation home someday. I WILL write a book. I still have career aspirations, but at this point in time I `m right where I need to be. I stopped and listened to myself to find out what I really wanted out of life and not what society told me I should aspire to be. I `m glad I `m finally listening to myself.



Isaac turned 6 weeks old yesterday. I measured him and he's around 24 inches & weighed in today at 13 lbs! He's getting so big so fast. He's even holding his head up for long periods of time. I'm so proud of him. I dreamt last night that he was starting to crawl already! On a sad note, my favorite kitty in the world went missing. We can't find her anywhere. I'm posting flyers & doing everything I can. I think someone kidnapped her. She goes up to complete strangers & hugs them. She'll even jump into anyone's car!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails