Pages

Support Wikipedia

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Am I that riff-raff living on the edge of society or what?

Cindy Sheehan was at the church I attend today. Her story brought tears to my eyes. Afterwards I hugged her and told her how sorry I was for the loss of her son (killed in Iraq two years ago). She had a polite, dismissive "Thank you"...reminded me of John Kerry when I told him he had his work cut out for him during the election...all dismissive; coldly polite. John Edwards was genuine. I guess different people handle their celebrity status differently. I shook the pastor's hand after church, he was also coldly dismissive, yet polite. This is a man whose class I sat through for four weeks, who I cried in front of when asked to share my story...I went to find the RE Director to introduce myself to her since I'm teaching for her for the next three Sundays...Dismissive. What the hell is up? During the service I was all set to come home and to promote what a great church I went to, how I admired the way Ms. Sheehan channeled her grief, how I wanted to be a part of all of that...but now, I feel horrible...alone...noone ever wants to go to church with me except Mike and he's working today. I remember as a child going to those awful Pentecostle and Southern Baptist services with my Arkansas Grandmother and how much a part of those church families I felt. I miss that feeling. I'm even in a church group, but the meetings are distanced and structured...I don't feel any type of connection with any of these people. If I feel this way at the Unitarian Church, where in the world am I supposed to fit in at?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails