Pages

Support Wikipedia

Saturday, May 17, 2008

SAHMs then & now

One day not too long ago, a co-worker & I were complaining about how good the SAHMs (Stay at home moms) have it. She has a five-year-old & I was not even pregnant with Isaac yet. She'd drop her daughter off at school & see the SAHMs doing the same, but they were dressed for the gym & she was dressed for work. We were working as Paralegals at a Bankruptcy law firm 8-5 Monday-Friday. Sometimes it seemed we spent more time sitting around complaining about our job than actually doing the job. Both of us worked our way through college, ambitiously seeking that career that our generation told us we wanted. Once we gained the coveted degree & got the job, though, we realized that all we wanted to do was be mother's & wives & take care of our family. It's strange to hear myself say these things today. I'm a member of Generation X, a generation that watched our mothers & grandmothers generations fight for the rights we have today. It seems like so many people turn their noses up at the June Cleavers of yesterday, but yet secretly envy them. I think the last three decades of women fighting for equal rights have not been in vain, but the preceding decades had their strong points as well. I wish I knew how to cook & sew & keep my house spotless & raise my son all in stride. My education was about having a career. Now I wish that I had a degree in how to be a SAHM. Some churches seem to have the same idea. I wonder if they let you do it online...

1 comment:

  1. In my life I have been both a working full time outside of the home mom, and a stay at home mom and I think each one has their positives and negatives.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails