Pages

Support Wikipedia

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

colloquialism

A 'colloquialism' is an expression not used in formal speech, writing or paralinguistics. Colloquialisms denote a manner of speaking or writing that is characteristic of familiar "common" conversation; informal colloquialisms can include words (such as "y'all" or "gonna"), phrases (such as "ain't nothin'", "dressed for bear" and "dead as a doornail"), or sometimes even an entire aphorism. ("There's more than one way to skin a cat"). (http://www.wikipedia.com/)

I like to write. I really, really like to write. The problem is all of the rules imposed on the process. I like to write the way that I speak. Easily, casually. I prefer to use punctuation where I'd use it in conversation. So what if it's not a complete sentence. So what if it's a run-on. Poetry has always been a passion of mine. I joined clubs where you submit your poems for feedback or constructive criticism. I'd get lectured on my style and the rules that I didn't follow properly. Some even had the audacity to "help me out" by rewriting my submission "correctly". I stopped writing for a long time. Now along comes BLOGGING. Hallelujah! I can write whatever I want to noone in particular. Of course I still have my lovely readers who love to correct me which is sometimes annoying at first, but usually helpful in the end. For instance, all of my spelling life I had been mispelling the word definitely until one fine day when I was corrected on my blog. Now it'll never happen again. It's like sitting behind someone who's got their tag hanging out (or worse, seeing someone with their fly down). It's wrong to let them walk away without making them aware of it. They may shoot you a dirty look (probably more out of embarrassment), but they are most likely grateful for being made aware. So, if I ramble, if I misspell, if I sound like an idiot, go ahead and let me know. I might call you a jerk under my breath, but I still appreciate the heads up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails