Pages

Support Wikipedia

Monday, January 17, 2011

Acid Rain Dream

I'm walking down rain-soaked streets and see all of the cars and streetlights being covered with plastic covers by men in haz-mat suits. I wonder what is going on. Something tells me it is to protect them from the chemicals that will be raining down from the sky that can melt or damage everything. I go inside and its kind of an art gallery or hotel and the same people are covering the lights and artwork with special protective coverings. I'm looking around and noticing spots they missed and wondering why they would go to all of that trouble and then not even do it thoroughly.


I had this dream last night and then my husband comes home today to tell me that National Geographic is coming to the nuclear site where he works to do some filming. I decide to do an internet search to see what interest they have there and found an old article: Nuclear Power, Risking a Comeback from 1996. In this economic impact study Economic Benefits of Grand Gulf Nuclear Station, nuclear power is touted for being cleaner and emitting less greenhouse gases than its fossil fuel counterparts: "Nuclear power is one of the cleanest conventional means of producing electricity. Grand Gulf operations avoid significant greenhouse gas emissions that otherwise would be generated if the same amount of electricity were produced by fossil fuels. In 2004, Grand Gulf avoided the emission of 48,000 tons of sulfur dioxide, 16,000 tons of nitrous oxide and 9.4 million tons of carbon dioxide. Sulfur dioxide can produce acid rain, and nitrous oxide is a precursor to ground-level ozone." The interesting thing here, too, is that Grand Gulf is the plant my husband will be most-likely heading to next. Hmmm...I guess my dreams are telling me to start paying attention to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails