Pages

Support Wikipedia

Monday, June 18, 2007

New babies woke me up!

Usually after Mike leaves for work in the wee hours of the morning, I fall back asleep. This morning I couldn't. I kept hearing this squeaky squeely kind of sound. Then it sounded like more than one animal making the sound. I've heard it before, but louder & deeper, followed by growling. I looked out of my bedroom window...but it was covered in condensation. I decided to take a peak out of the living room window at the stairs where Mike puts food out for India & Smokey (a ferral cat that's adopted us over the last 2 years) & sure enough, I see new little baby raccoons! There was the mom, which I'm sure was one of last year's six babies that we fed, and there were two CHUBBY little ones. They were just too precious! They both kept sitting inside the water bowl with their little faces stuck in the water, then they'd go grab some dry cat food & eat while the mom took her dry food and held it in the water to soften it up before she ate. Then one of them jumped onto a little plant that sits on the stairs & tumbled to the ground, plant & all. They are so fascinating to watch. Usually I can sit outside on the steps next to the raccoons while they eat. They trust me. Now, though, I'm sure they'd all run & hide. Mom's are super-protective like that. I worry about what will happen to them when we move. What if someone who doesn't love animals like Mike & I do move in. What if they are cruel to them? They probably won't feed them. We have an animal trap & I had thought about taking them with us when we go, but that's probably a bad idea. I think they actually live in the woods & just visit us via the large water drains in our yard. I'll miss them though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails