Pages

Support Wikipedia

Thursday, December 30, 2004

now I understand poor Helena (from a Midsummer Night's Dream)

DEMETRIUS I love thee not, therefore pursue me not. Where is Lysander and fair Hermia? The one I'll slay, the other slayeth me. Thou told'st me they were stolen unto this wood; And here am I, Hence, get thee gone, and follow me no more. HELENA You draw me, you hard hearted adamant! DEMETRIUS Do I entice you? do I speak you fair? Or, rather, do I not in plainest truth Tell you, I do not, nor I cannot love you? HELENA And even for that do I love you the more. I am your dog; spurn me, strike me, Neglect me, lose me; only give me leave, Unworthy as I am, to follow you. DEMETRIUS Tempt not too much the hatred of my spirit; For I am sick when I do look on thee. HELENA And I am sick when I look not on you. DEMETRIUS I'll run from thee and hide me in the brakes, And leave thee to the mercy of wild beasts. HELENA The wildest hath not such a heart as you. DEMETRIUS I will not stay thy questions; let me go: Or, if thou follow me, do not believe But I shall do thee mischief in the wood. HELENA You do me mischief. Fie, Demetrius! We cannot fight for love, as men may do; We should be wooed and were not made to woo. Exit DEMETRIUS I'll follow thee and make a heaven of hell, To die upon the hand I love so well. Exit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails